Monday, January 22, 2007

Tambourine Taxi

Friday I went to a friend’s house for drinks and to meet his pretty Spanish teacher from Buenos Aires. She was very nice and we all got very drunk. It was fun but it was a late night. We stayed there until around three am.
I was going to stay in on Saturday but Miss Thistle and Fingerless were mean to me and called me a loser for wanting to stay in so I changed my mind and headed over to Miss Thistle’s place. I was picked up by an Asian cab driver who was kinda like an idiot savant when it came to 50s and 60s music. He changed the radio station after every song ended and loved his music trivia. He would tell me what year a song was number one and when that group played in Toronto. I seem to remember him saying “The Drifters. Number one in 1959.” When we passed Maple Leaf Gardens he told me what year the Beatles played 3 shows there. He would sing along to the do wop music but that was nothing… at one point I hear a tambourine. No, it wasn’t part of the song. The cabby had it on the passenger’s seat and he was playing along with the music. I shit you not. I so tried to text a message to Thistle and fingerless to tell them but I couldn’t spell tambourine. So that story had to wait until I made it to Thistle’s. And it didn’t stop with the tambourine, nooooooo; he tooted the horn to the music too. I swear to god it was the freakiest cab ride ever and I’m probably doing the ride no justice.
Once I arrived at Thistle’s we had some Vodka and then some beer. I saw Mr. Thistle and the new ring. I told Mr. Thistle that Miss Thistle was complaining about the ring’s setting (she wasn’t) but I just thought it would be fun to say. We went to a bar for the birthday of a friend’s little brother. (BTW the friend is ridiculously hot beyond belief and super nice. Jason it would DESTROY you.) I got 2 free drinks from strangers (some stranger at the bar celebrating his 21st bday and the pretty bartender girl at last call). Miss Thistle, Fingerless and I made our way out the door. Thistle crossed the street to her apartment. I put Fingerless in a cab and then grabbed one for myself. About one min later my phone rang and it was Fingerless who told me she was going to a friends place and I should come too. I turned the cab around to meet her. To make a long story short I crawled in my door at quarter to six. That’s really late for an old guy like me and I wasn’t even going to planning to go out.

I think this guy had the same taxi driver as me.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Timmy said...

at least you are admitting that you are old. VERY OLD.

January 22, 2007 1:17 PM  
Blogger Pablo said...

Yeah, you are more like a great-aunt, aren't you?

January 22, 2007 1:55 PM  
Blogger Miss Thistle said...

I'm pretty sure Jason has met C before at some point? Him and the rest of my uni buddies used to live around the corner from Fingerless and I (near the park).

January 22, 2007 2:01 PM  
Blogger your judgemental aunt said...

timmy - wiser too. don't forget that.
pablo- yes I am great. no need to mention it though.
Miss Thistle- I don't think he met him. I didn't meet him at your house. I met him when he was with Fingerless's sister.

January 22, 2007 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goddamn Byrds.

January 22, 2007 2:13 PM  
Blogger Pablo said...

Haha! You can't spell tamboreen!

January 23, 2007 7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute story. Even cuter that you found another blogger with a similar taxi story. I used to think odd stuff like that only happened to me.

Sounds like a great weekend. I miss going out like that and getting home at 6 AM the next day.

January 23, 2007 7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy I didn't get subjected to more "destruction" or "unsafe spaces".

No one is mean to me on Food TV on a Saturday night. :(

January 23, 2007 9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pablo,
It's tambourine -- even in Webster's.

January 23, 2007 9:37 AM  
Blogger Butchie said...

Wow! Toronto sounds awesome. I bet they don't have any tumbleweeds there.

January 23, 2007 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home